Thursday, July 24, 2008

Determinants of health

During both webinars, I mentioned a couple of articles I'd read related to determinants of health. These particular articles were meaningful to me for different reasons. I wanted to share the citations with you so you can judge for yourself!



As I was developing CHARTing Health Information for Texas, I needed a framework for organizing the determinants of health. Someone referred me to this article:


Hillemeier,M.M.; Lynch,J.; Harper,S.; Casper,M. Measuring contextual characteristics for community health. Health Serv.Res. 38, (6 Pt 2), 1645-1717, 2003.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2003.00198.x

and it made so much sense to me! Their schema really helped me pull together all of the links I had into a cohesive format. At least, it was cohesive for me!

Another article I mentioned was one about the importance of African-American males completing high school to greatly reduce the risk of them entering the criminal justice system. I'm not wording it very well so here's the 1st sentence from the author's abstract, "This paper analyzes the relationship between levels of educational attainment and outcomes for African American males, in particular the likelihood of conflict with the criminal justice system. "

Here's the citation:
African-American Males: Education or Incarceration. By: Green, Robert L.. 1991 34 pp. (ED346184)

Lastly, I mentioned an analysis of research on various social determinants of health to determine if there was one determinant more influential than any others. According to this author, it's education! I still need to find the article but as soon as I do, I will post the citation here.

Happy weekend!

No comments: