Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Have theory will travel

Tonight I learned a valuable lesson while working on a survey. I don't have to come up with all of it on my own! Someone else has probably come up with something *similar*-- doesn't have to be exactly what I'm doing but close enough. I can look at their theory and see if it truly fits with what I want (after deciding as to whether it was the appropriate theory to apply). I can then use it to figure out the path to take.

What theories/models are out there that help explain health behaviors? How about the Transtheoretical Model and Stages of Changes? Theory of Reasoned Action and Theory of Planned Behavior? Social Cognitive Theory? Health Belief Model?

If you'd like to see how you can utilize them to help you plan your health promotion programs, take a look at Theory at a Glance: A Guide for Health Promotion Practice (pdf) from the National Cancer Institute.

Or, if you're feeling really motivated, there's a great book by Glanz, Rimer, and Lewis, Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. It's available from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0787957151

Cheers!

No comments: